Drop in to see the history of the Australian Light Horse

Drop in to see the history of the Australian Light Horse

A history of Photography on the Gold Coast

A history of Photography on the Gold Coast

“What was rail travel like on the South Coast Line? For some the memory of a train trip to the Tweed lingers on. Back in 1981 D L Overson had the foresight to write an article called “The Tweed Heads Connection” for the Sunshine Express published in 1981. It provides us with a description of rail travel in 1950.”

“From Nerang, the line headed south into open bushland and then curved eastwards. To the left of the train, were swamp and marshland. Then the track led into bushland once again and this setting continued until Worongary was reached. This section of the railway featured numerous minor cuttings but the line began to level out towards Mudgeeraba. On leaving this station, the railway veered again to the ocean although trees prevented passengers from catching a glimpse of the sea.

After crossing Mudgeeraba Creek the iron swung south into dense timber country crossing under the main Springbrook Road to Reedy Creek. Once more the tracks turned towards the coast and after running through a short tunnel and some cuttings, the train would arrive at West Burleigh. Departure from here took the train across an iron bridge which spanned Tallebudgera Creek.

At last the ocean came into view. The line became level and the shore appeared to be gradually closing in. Another long bridge was crossed and the engine pulled into Currumbin. The line ran on a short embankment and curved sharply in an ‘S’ curve around Currumbin Hill. There was a large cutting to negotiate before Tugun was reached. At this point, the beach was only a stone's throw to the left of the train. The rails ran parallel to the main road through the residential beach towns of Bilinga, Kirra and Coolangatta. After leaving this station the train swung right over Bay Street into Tweed Heads.”

The original Nerang Railway Station opened on 15 July 1889, just less than six months after the line was open to Southport on 25 January 1889. Although horse-drawn vehicles were the main means of transport of the day, steam trains were relied upon to provide a quick service for goods and passengers travelling to the state's capital. The station remained the most southerly station in Queensland until the line was extended to Tweed Heads on 14 September 1903. The line from Nerang was closed on 1 July 1961 and again this station was the most southerly for a couple more years. The Nerang station was meant to close in 1961, but remained open until 1 May 1964, with the South Coast Railway from Beenleigh to Southport finally closing on 1 July 1964. Following the closure of the line the Nerang station was moved to another site and was turned into a council workshop. In 1978 the Albert Shire Council allowed the building to be taken to Springbrook where it received a full restoration.

The original Nerang Railway Station opened on 15 July 1889, just less than six months after the line was open to Southport on 25 January 1889. Although horse-drawn vehicles were the main means of transport of the day, steam trains were relied upon to provide a quick service for goods and passengers travelling to the state's capital. The station remained the most southerly station in Queensland until the line was extended to Tweed Heads on 14 September 1903.

The line from Nerang was closed on 1 July 1961 and again this station was the most southerly for a couple more years. The Nerang station was meant to close in 1961, but remained open until 1 May 1964, with the South Coast Railway from Beenleigh to Southport finally closing on 1 July 1964.

Following the closure of the line the Nerang station was moved to another site and was turned into a council workshop. In 1978 the Albert Shire Council allowed the building to be taken to Springbrook where it received a full restoration.

The station at this stage was owned by Bill and Miriam Short and was located on their property in Carricks Road, Springbrook alongside a few other historical buildings. The plan was to open “The Village” as it was known to the public, but this never happened. To make way for a new complex the building was demolished and reassembled in “The Settlement” also at Springbrook. The Shorts decided to sell the land complete with its historical buildings to Goldco Properties, who planned to build a golf course. Twelve months later Goldco Properties went into liquidation and the property and its buildings remained there unused. It was not until four years later that the Queensland Government Land Department decided to take the land for development. At this stage all the old buildings were auctioned off, with the railway station ending up at Mudgeeraba Forest development as their site office on the corner of Bonogin Road and Canopy Drive, where it was again restored. Here the station remained until midnight on 12 March 2007 when it was moved to the Gold Coast Hinterland Heritage Museum. Barry, Isla and Simon Miller donated the Nerang Railway Station to the Gold Coast Hinterland Heritage Museum in 2007.

The station at this stage was owned by Bill and Miriam Short and was located on their property in Carricks Road, Springbrook alongside a few other historical buildings. The plan was to open “The Village” as it was known to the public, but this never happened. To make way for a new complex the building was demolished and reassembled in “The Settlement” also at Springbrook.

The Shorts decided to sell the land complete with its historical buildings to Goldco Properties, who planned to build a golf course. Twelve months later Goldco Properties went into liquidation and the property and its buildings remained there unused.

It was not until four years later that the Queensland Government Land Department decided to take the land for development. At this stage all the old buildings were auctioned off, with the railway station ending up at Mudgeeraba Forest development as their site office on the corner of Bonogin Road and Canopy Drive, where it was again restored.

Here the station remained until midnight on 12 March 2007 when it was moved to the Gold Coast Hinterland Heritage Museum.

Barry, Isla and Simon Miller donated the Nerang Railway Station to the Gold Coast Hinterland Heritage Museum in 2007.