Franklin house was originally built by Ron Kirby in early 1956 and was made from locally milled timber for John and Merna Franklin.
The back verandah originally had louvres, which were put in by Bill Wruck prior to the extension of a bedroom and toilet being added in the mid 1960's. These louvres were replaced by sliding glass windows in the 1980's.
John and Merna Franklin [both former councillors] lived in this house with their family until September 1985 when they moved into a new house on the same property. Following their relocation the house was occupied by their children until 2004. The building was originally situated on Franklin Drive, Mudgeeraba. It was donated and relocated to the Museum site by Winten Property in May 2005.
Franklin House is popular with visitors and children who love to use the typewriters and sewing machines from this bygone era.
House showing display of quilts from a special day.
Franklin House after addition of ramp and veranda to make it accessible for wheelchairs. .
Franklin house now displays memorabilia from the former Albert Shire Council, the John Franklin Award, the 1950's and a sewing room.
Cr. Ted Shepherd and Mrs Merna Franklin officially opened the building on 8 October 2005.