“The Tallebudgera Police Station was established in 1884 with John Geary as the first local constable and a Court of Petty Sessions heard its first case in 1885. In 1906 the local police station and court house were transferred to Coolangatta in spite of a petition drawn up against the transfer by residents of Currumbin and Tallebudgera districts. The proprietors of Greenmount and Tweed House boarding houses were pleased to learn of this removal.
This was the first and most obvious indication of ‘Tally's’ decline. The decision led to an outburst of protest with a petition being delivered to the Commissioner of Police. arguing that Coolangatta was ‘most inaccessible’ that there had been a ‘considerable increase in settlers’ since 1904 and that the police station had been on the main stock route from New South Wales with mobs of cattle passing through almost daily.
In 1909 a new police station was erected at Tallebudgera as much a response to the growing tourist traffic to Booningba and Burleigh Heads as to the needs of the district's farmers. Twenty one years later in 1930 it would again be removed to booming Burleigh.”
Source: Longhurst, Robert. From Tallebudgera to the Tweed, pages 77; 97; 110.
School children love to be put in the stocks!
Stocks were a form of punishment used in early days for minor offences.